Sunday, April 22, 2012

Are discount clubs cheaper?

Now that I'm retired, I take a lot longer to shop! I have a Sam's Club membership, frequent WalMart and love Publix Grocery. One of the things I've found is that prices on any given item or on any given day can be lower at any one of the three! Last week we priced Atkins Nutrition Bars and saved well over a dollar by buying 3 boxes at WalMart rather than one triple size box at Sam's. Since there are only two of us, sizes of consumables at Sam's means waste, but sometimes it's less expensive to buy large and give some away if you can't use it all especially fruit. Several of our friends shop together and split large packages but I've never found anyone that likes everything I like! I'm always partial to Publix meat because Sam's and WalMart have not proved to be that good in quality. Both Woody and I are not afraid to buy clothes at Sam's since they often have Ralph Lauren Polo, Nautica, Levi's, Calvin Klein and other brand names. Clothes shopping does require trying clothes over clothes (which looks a little funny I know), knowing how designers' fit or being prepared to return things that don't fit when you get them home. We've also found that brand name grandchildren clothes can also be found at Sam's but are often cheaper at WalMart! As fast as kids grown and as rough as day care is, Garanimals at WalMart are cheaper than Carter's or OshKosh. You can still buy a really special outfit occasionally...but just sayin...to go to WalMart or work in the yard, you don't need designer duds...you might be overdressed.

Woody and I also entertain ourselves with shopping if we can't think of anything else to do on a rainy day. We love to browse Sam's and sample food! So enjoy shopping but bottom line...watch pricing and try not to impulse buy!

No comments: