Monday, February 26, 2007

A New Political Animal?

I grew up in a household where my Dad was a Yellow Dog Democrat! For those of you not familiar with this term, it means that he was such a good Democrat, he'd vote for a yellow dog if he was running on the Democrat ticket. I've never been very political, in part because I worked all the time, had a family and just really didn't have the time to continue to work on campaigns, go door to door and all the things my Dad had us doing as children and teens! I've always voted so don't get the wrong idea and have prided myself on voting the individual not the party! So, in my retirement, I've decided to get back into the swing of things and begin to take a stand on things I believe in, like voting for Hillary Clinton and maybe doing a bit of campaigning on her behalf.

When the Clinton's tried to "fix" healthcare, I was so excited. I've worked in the international market a bit over the past two decades, and while no national health service is perfect, at least everyone has access to some level of care. We have over 50 million people in the U.S. who are uninsured, and many more who are underinsured...and in a way, I'm one of them. Woody's entire Social Security Check is going to pay for our health insurance! Now, if I had not retired early and had worked seven more years to Medicare, then it wouldn't be a problem...but my old body couldn't take seven more years of being a road warrior and traveling constantly. I would love to have basic health coverage free of charge, and the option to buy a supplemental policy to offset out of pocket costs or upgrade access to some services or facilities. While the government health programs aren't perfect either, it's still better than the Emergency Room as a primary care provider!

Whether you love her or hate her, at least Hillary tried! Healthcare is still the fastest growing cost in our GDP and eventually will bankrupt both the nation and the family if something isn't done. She's already surfaced the issue since everyone knows she will bring it to the forefront if elected! All of a sudden, politicians are racing to present a health plan to provide care for all! You go girl...we need someone who will put aside politics and focus on our country's needs. I know the U.S. will always be a player on the world stage, but in case anyone hasn't noticed...we've gotten sidetracked with being the world's policeman while other countries are focused on educating their children, growing their economy and working internally on their population's needs. Our country is losing ground as a world leader in a positive sense...we need to refocus! Hillary can do it! oh...Barak Obama would be a good VP! and a little nepotism won't hurt...think about the Kennedy's! and yes, I am that old!

No comments: