Saturday, February 17, 2007

A Snowy Saturday

Snow everywhere...at least an inch! and in Tennessee that shuts down the city. Hubby and I decided to chill, literally, and stay out of the madness of people who can't drive when it rains, much less snows! Spent the morning surfing the web...the new hobby for seniors! Who said you can't teach an old dog new tricks. We've explored http://www.msnbc.msn.com/ and read all the entertainment news, went to http://www.people.com/ and then to the infamous swimsuit model issue of Sports Illustrated! (Hubby can't even turn on a computer without directions, so I have to help!) I have such an exciting life since retirement...I love it! Most days!

Just finished a great book...Tales of a Female Nomad, Living at Large in the World by Rita Golden Gelman. My neighbor gave it to me...while I fantasize about really running away from home, four years in Bali might be a bit much. For anyone thinking about escape, this is a definite read! A bit scary...she did do this in the 80's and 90's it appears, but she still took some significant safety risks. I might be just a little conservative, and, perhaps even a little risk averse. http://www.ritagoldengelman.com/ is her web site and she's currently in Mexico! I'm fascinated with her book. She's a children's author and I think I'll go see if I can find some of her books for my rowdy grandchildren when the snow clears! This is the kind of book I might be able to tackle...very little dialogue and almost a narrative which I may be able to do. Random House's Three River Press published it if you're looking. http://www.randomhouse.com/ She's still looking for other Nomads....go to her site and send her a note!

I'm still processing my life four months into retirement...so much I want to do that it's hard to prioritize. So far, photography, writing, some crafty kinds of things, consulting, travel...all viable candidates but where is the passion. I think photography and writing, but I'm still struggling with the productivity and "give back" part of me. Some days I love being relaxed, others I think I need to do something productive for the world...hubby says I've given all my life and now it can be about me...just struggling to determine if I deserve "me" time.

I did submit a post today to Hillary Clinton's potential blog...addressed universal health care! When I retired, we went on Cobra and eventually will transition to the retiree health benefit plan of my old company...it will take all hubby's social security to pay for coverage. I'm definitely a proponent of universal health care...and of Hillary's candidacy...full disclosure of course! My dad would be proud...he was a yellow dog Democrat. For those of you who don't know, a yellow dog Democrat would vote for a yellow dog if he, or SHE, ran for office. I can remember working on campaigns in junior high and high school with my Dad and then becoming almost apolitical...I voted, but as an Independent...which means I vote for the person not the party. Truth be known, that's the way it should be...the person who can deliver on promises that are compatible with your beliefs should be the guiding mantra! While I benefited from the tax breaks of the Republicans, I just am too concerned about the majority of Americans who don't have the same benefits of the more affluent. I guess I can't get away from working for the YMCA in high school in the projects of Jackson, TN and seeing what poverty does to children. Having been in health care, specifically cancer care, for years, I always felt I was serving a population with needs...that's why it's hard for me to focus on what I want to do in retirement. I still want to give back...

So, I'm a bit verbose today...it's the snow! Now if I can just figure out what I want to be when I grow up!

No comments: