Saturday, September 1, 2007

The Old Florida...Apalachicola

We're finishing up our two months in Florida by spending a few days in Apalachicola, Florida www.apalachicolabay.org It's marvelous. For those of you who remember Destin just after it started to evolve...that's where Apalachicola is now. It's main industry is fishing/oysters...with an increasing number of tourists. The historic downtown is full of antique shops and shops with unique gifts that you just can't live without. One of my favorite places is Lane Autrey's Photography Gallery. www.laneautrey.com She has some incredible images and several made me really jealous! We bought Ginny a cast iron skillet so she can learn to make southern cornbread! Libby is finally getting a deviled egg plate..my old one...I found a great dark green carnival glass one that matches my Portmerion! I also picked up a blue carnival glass bowl that may go on eBay...I really like it though! Also got two little three leaf clover bowls...the shamrocks didn't help the Irish today! We got crushed by GA Tech! Oh well...watched the game at Papa Joe's on the river...fabulous oysters, shrimp and the best key lime pie north of Terry's in Davie, FL! www.papajoesoysterbar.com

It's incredible to be retired and free to roam! I thank God daily for my many blessings...not sure what I did to deserve such a great life! I guess our random acts of kindness continue to pay off...we may not be churchy, but we try to walk the walk!

Riley, our granddaughter, caught a foot long fish today with her fishing wand from Wal-Mart that Mimi bought her! Unfortunately, Dad decided he needed bait more than having it mounted for her bedroom wall! At least he told her she had to send it back to the sea...glad she didn't realize what he meant! Jen caught a hammerhead shark! Should have told her to filet it and saute it in real butter and lemon pepper...tasty! Our fishmonger from Florida told us that recipe...works on any fish. I guess shark is shark, hammerhead or otherwise!

Libby is off riding her four wheeler that Led gave her for her birthday...I'm not sure what happened...four wheeler, bass fisherperson, cubs fan...at least she still likes to shop! She's happier than I've ever seen her! Molly is moving this weekend...she got a big promotion at work and is really excited about commissions! Yeah...she's the new material girl and I'm the hippie now!!! Talk about role reversal! You go girl!

We should be home in a few days unless we find someplace fun to stop and visit! We do love this lifestyle but really miss all of you!

No comments: